- JRC organises 19th International Conference on Radionuclide Metrology and its ApplicationsJune 19, 2013
This week - 17 to 21 June 2013 - the 19th International Conference on Radionuclide Metrology and its Applications will take place in Antwerp, Belgium. This conference is organised by the Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM) of the European Commission's Joint Research Centre (EC-JRC).
- Scientific workshop on olive oil authentication (Madrid, 10-11 June 2013)June 13, 2013
The scientific workshop on olive oil authentication, jointly organised by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Agriculture and the Joint Research Centre, Institute of Reference Materials and Measurements (Geel, Belgium) together with the International Olive Council, took place in Madrid on Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th June.
- Delegates of the Japanese Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) visit the JRC – IRMMJune 03, 2013
JAEA delegates visited the nuclear facilities of the JRC-IRMM as part of the cooperation agreement between JAEA and EURATOM in the field of nuclear safeguards.
- New guideline for the validation of screening methods to be used by official food controlMay 29, 2013
The JRC, in collaboration with other European scientists, has developed a new protocol for the validation of methods by collaborative trial or single-laboratory validation. This leads to fit-for-purpose analytical methods to be used by official food and feed control.
- Feed Safety: multi-analyte method for determination of antibiotics in feedMay 14, 2013
JRC has developed and validated a rapid and efficient method for the detection and the quantification of 48 antibiotics in feed. The method is based on emerging technology and is an efficient tool for the compulsory monitoring of undesirable substances in the feed and food chain.
- New DNA method detecting fish species: a tool for the feed industry and a step forward to better diagnostics on food allergiesMay 13, 2013
The JRC has developed two complementary real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) methods, based on the use of a nuclear gene as a target, for the simultaneous detection of fish DNA from the 24 species most commonly used by the food and feed industry.
- Consumer protection: JRC produces new wine authenticity CRMMay 08, 2013
The JRC’s Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements has produced a successor certified reference material (STA-003m) allowing authenticity testing of wines.
- Open Day 2013 at JRC's Ispra site breaks previous record numbersMay 07, 2013
On Saturday, 4 May 2013, over 10.300 visitors followed the invitation to spend a day dedicated to science exploration and discovered how the European Commission's in-house science service helps to promote growth, jobs and innovation, a healthy and safe environment, consumer protection and secure energy supplies.
- Nuclear safety: artificial diamonds for accurate radioactive waste assessmentMay 07, 2013
JRC scientists lead collaboration to build an ultra-fast fission trigger for highly efficient and accurate fission yield measurements relevant for the precise assessment of spent fuel inventory of reactors and of radioactive waste.
- Meat quality: JRC launches call for laboratories to validate method measuring boar taintMay 06, 2013
New trial on boar taint marker substances seeks collaborators. JRC-IRMM has launched a call for laboratories to validate a method to measure boar taint compounds that will run over this summer / autumn 2013.
- Teaching science to future generations: the JRC in Geel welcomes secondary school pupilsMay 03, 2013
This week a group of 26 secondary school pupils from the European School in Mol immersed themselves into five different scientific experiments; acquiring a better understanding of the need for scientific measurements and getting a new perspective on possible future careers in science.
- JRC leading example on flexible scope accreditation for GMO measurementsMay 02, 2013
The JRC in Geel has published today a document for the flexible scope accreditation of laboratories quantifying GMOs. This European technical guidance is the result of stakeholders' consensus; facilitating the harmonisation of the accreditation of GMO testing laboratories in Europe and at the same time enabling laboratories to measure all authorised GMO events under accreditation.
- JRC-IRMM strengthens collaboration with local authoritiesApril 30, 2013
The JRC IRMM and the local Geel community moved one step closer recently with the co-signing on 23 April of a revised Protocol (OOP36) establishing improved cooperation in security and emergency procedures governing nuclear installations and their local host city.
- New promotional videos presenting JRC-IRMMApril 29, 2013
JRC-IRMM has released new videos reflecting the impact science has on the policy making process in order to benefit the European citizens.
- JRC provides scientific support to determination of phthalates in foodApril 22, 2013
JRC participates on EU-China Trade Project and presents a newly developed in-house validated method for the determination of phthalates in wine and spirit drinks.
- Workshop "Trans fatty acids in diets: health and legislative implications"April 17, 2013
The European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) organised a workshop on the 9th and 10th April in Zagreb, Croatia entitled 'Trans fatty acids in diets: health and legislative implications'. The workshop aimed to present and discuss recent data on the presence in food and consumption of trans fatty acids in Europe and to exchange ideas and practices to reduce trans fatty acids in foods and their consumption. It brought together around 30 European experts on fats, food science and technology, public health and nutrition.
- Scientific publication from JRC-IRMM wins CITAC best paper 2012 awardApril 16, 2013
JRC-IRMM scientists win prize on calibration article. Proper calibration is essential for the comparability of measurement results. For instance, it ensures that production of food/feed can be properly controlled by industry and official testing laboratories; benefiting the European consumer.
- Standard operating procedure for the analysis of phthalates in wineApril 15, 2013
The JRC has optimised a fit-for-purpose analytical method for the determination of 16 phthalates in wine and spirits.
- Nuclear safety: study recommends updating evaluated nuclear dataApril 12, 2013
JRC scientists’ collaborative report presents precise prompt spectral fission gamma-ray data proving that existing evaluated data files are of insufficient quality.
- JRC Annual Report 2012 now availableApril 05, 2013
The annual report provides an overview of the JRC's main achievements in the past year, highlighting the scientific and technical support to financial stability, to growth, jobs and innovation, as well as to agriculture and global food security, low carbon economy and resource efficiency. The report also addresses public health and safety and security, including nuclear safety and security.
- JRC presents IRMM activities to European School students in MolApril 04, 2013
JRC presents IRMM activities during the European School Open Day in Mol. Over 200 people visited the JRC-IRMM stand last 23rd March. Paola Garcia, responsible for Communication highlights: "it is amazing to see the curiosity of the children and their interest for science, the game on the importance of reference materials was very appealing to them…
- Tools to improve seafood safety: JRC validates simple method to monitor methylmercury in fishMarch 27, 2013
As from 28th February 2013 the Standard Operating Procedure for the determination of methylmercury in seafood, as validated by the European Union Reference Laboratory for Heavy Metals, can be downloaded for free.
- Lead in lipsticks: safe levels of unintentional lead contamination confirmedMarch 26, 2013
Findings of two JRC Institutes revealed that consumers do not need to worry about potential risks by using lipsticks with regards of possible contamination with lead.
- Radioactivity measurements: improved nuclear data of 225Ac decay series for better modellingMarch 25, 2013
Measurement of half-life values of nuclides in the 225Ac decay series offer better precision for future applications.
- Nuclear safety: a novel approach to fast neutron detection March 25, 2013
JRC scientists’ collaborative report shows that a more consistent measurement of prompt neutron emission spectra, which is highly relevant in nuclear safety, may be achieved when using lanthanum-bromide scintillation detector for fast neutron detection.
- Towards an innovative and competitive EU security industryMarch 22, 2013
European Commission launches public consultation on airport security equipment.
- Food allergens: minimising use of "may contain" labels.March 22, 2013
JRC teams up with renowned institutions in the world's biggest study of food allergies to look at tools to measure allergens in food. The aim is to allow validation and monitoring of allergen management plans.
- Introducing "representative test materials"March 21, 2013
JRC scientists have recently published a paper providing an overview of existing types of reference materials and introducing a new class of "representative test materials (RTM)".
- JRC publication reviews 40 years of achievements on uranium standardsMarch 20, 2013
JRC scientists review 40 years of achievements in hexafluoride (UF6) mass spectrometry and describe the current state-of-the-art measurement techniques.
- Health: JRC higher order reference materials listed for in-vitro diagnosticsMarch 18, 2013
In February 2013 two JRC certified reference materials have been listed as higher-order reference materials in the database of the Joint Committee for Traceability in Laboratory Medicine
- Internal Market and Trade: the role of standardisation in improving safety in the EU's food supplyMarch 18, 2013
Food experts discuss the challenges and future directions for standardisation activities related to food analysis during the 4th Joint JRC-CEN workshop.
- Alpha-Immunotherapy: better measurements to reduce uncertainty on received dose in cancer treatmentMarch 15, 2013
Results from over two years of research in support of alpha-immunotherapy bring more accuracy in the dose of cancer treatment.
- JRC contributes to harmonisation of international food standardsMarch 13, 2013
Ensuring fair practices in food trade: JRC scientists discuss ways of testing and sampling food in order to avoid disputes related to food commodities.
- Ensuring Nuclear Safeguards: new approach to measure the full isotopic composition of uranium samplesMarch 05, 2013
JRC-IRMM develops and validates in-house, a new method for the accurate isotopic measurement of UF6.
- Behind the scenes: a deeper look into standardisation in health diagnostics March 01, 2013
The JRC-IRMM presents the outcome of a feasibility study for a first reference material to be produced to standardise autoimmune disease testing.
- JRC-IRMM develops new measurement tools for isotopic measurementsMarch 01, 2013
JRC scientists developed a new analytical tool to determine stable isotope ratios in small sample volumes.
- JRC-IRMM contributes to improve Processed Animal Proteins measurements in Animal FEEDFebruary 05, 2013
The use of processed animal proteins (PAPs), including meat and bone meal (MBM), in animal nutrition is forbidden in the European Union as a consequence of the BSE-crisis.
- JRC-IRMM releases ERM-BC211 certified reference materialJanuary 28, 2013
JRC-IRMM has released a new certified reference material, ERM-BC211 (rice). The certified reference material was prepared from rice destined for human consumption and is certified for total arsenic, the sum of arsenite and arsenate and Dimethylarsinic acid.
- JRC helps promote science for girlsDecember 19, 2012
A video is now available of the Greenlight for Girls event of 24 November 2012, aimed at promoting science and technology studies to girls aged 11-15.
- JRC-IRMM releases a new certified reference material for trace elements in shellfish.December 19, 2012
JRC-IRMM has released a new certified reference material (CRM) ERM-CE278k Mussel Tissue.
- Elke Anklam is the new JRC IRMM Director as from 1 January 2013December 17, 2012
Ms Anklam is as of 1 January 2013, taking on the position of Director of the Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM) in Geel, Belgium.
- Measurement Science in Chemistry – video now available!December 04, 2012
A video is now available of the graduation ceremony of the Euromaster "Measurement Science in Chemistry", which took place at the Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Geel, Belgium on 15 November 2012.
- Prof. Anne Glover CBE, the European Commission's Chief Scientific Adviser visits IRMMNovember 29, 2012
On Wednesday 28 November 2012, JRC-IRMM welcomed the Commission's first Chief Scientific Advisor, Prof. Anne Glover CBE, together with her assistant, Jan-Marco Müller (DG BEPA).
- Euromaster graduates have the right skills for the jobNovember 16, 2012
On 15 November 2012, a total of 31 students were awarded their diploma supplement for the Euromaster programme, "Measurement Science in Chemistry".
- JRC-IRMM releases three new certified reference materials for trace elements in food. November 12, 2012
JRC-IRMM has released the new certified reference materials (CRMs) ERM-BB184; bovine muscle, ERM-BB186; pig kidney and ERM-BB422 fish muscle. Certified values are given for a selection of trace elements in each CRM that allow laboratories to control analytical measurements made to ensure food safety.