The Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM) is one of the seven institutes of the Joint Research Centre (JRC), a Directorate-General of the European Commission (EC).
The mission of the institute is to support industrial competitiveness, quality of life, safety and security in the EU by developing advanced measurement standards and providing state-of-the-art scientific advice concerning measurements and standards for EU policies.
Our prime objective is to build confidence in the comparability of measurements by the production and dissemination of internationally accepted quality assurance tools, including validated methods, reference materials, reference measurements, interlaboratory comparisons and training.
- JRC co-authors review of flow injection techniques for reliable measurements of nutrients in oceansDecember 05, 2013
The publication reviews and discusses the merits of flow injection analysis and related techniques for measurements of macronutrient and micronutrient elements in seawater.
- Environmental impact of coal burning: New reference materials enable accurate measurementDecember 04, 2013
Three new certified reference materials to improve the quality of coal analysis have been developed by JRC IRMM for use in laboratory quality control and method validation.
- Worldwide first certified reference materials for GMO rapeseed powder mixturesDecember 04, 2013
JRC-IRMM releases the first rapeseed powder material certified for a GMO mass fraction world-wide. Provided that the 73496 GMO rapeseed event will be authorised for the European market, this certified reference material will help GMO testing laboratories to implement the European labelling threshold, and enabling consumers to choose their preferred food. The material can be used for calibration and quality control without the need for a grinding or mixing step.
- Training on GMO quantification: Proper calibration and estimation of measurement uncertaintyNovember 28, 2013
On 21 and 22 November 2013, an international training course on "GMO quantification: Proper calibration and Estimation of Measurement Uncertainty" was held at the European Commission's Joint Research Centre in Geel.
- JRC proficiency tests on cat feed reveal the need for improvement of laboratory performanceNovember 28, 2013
Two proficiency tests organised by the European Union Reference Laboratory for Heavy Metals in Feed and Food (EURL-HM) have concluded that the performance of food control laboratories in the determination of four heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury) in dry compound feed for cats needs to be improved.
- CIELO opens new horizons for world-wide standardisation of nuclear dataNovember 20, 2013
Working towards the creation of the first world-wide nuclear data file, leading actors in the nuclear field together with the JRC launched the first Collaborative International Evaluated Library Organisation (CIELO). This is an important step towards the use of the same (world-wide accepted) nuclear data in, for example, the safety assessments of nuclear systems.
- Novel rapid methods for food safetyNovember 07, 2013
JRC tackles contaminant detection with novel rapid tests in the case of antibiotics in honey and mycotoxins in cereals.
- Science brings safe animal proteins back to feed for fishOctober 30, 2013
Today, the JRC is releasing a reference material facilitating the implementation of the new Commission regulation (EU No 56/2013¬) that re-authorised the use of processed animal proteins (PAPs) derived from non-ruminant farmed animals (i.e. mainly from pigs and poultry) in fish feed earlier this year.
- How to use reference materials and estimate uncertaintyOctober 21, 2013
The estimation of measurement uncertainty and the use of reference materials are crucial for the correct implementation of legislation. Using reference materials for calibration ensures traceability of results in several areas such as health, clinical diagnostics, food and feed safety, environment, security and nuclear safeguards.
- Two new certified milk powder reference materials to commemorate the World Standards Day 2013October 14, 2013
Today, 14th October 2013 the JRC releases two new certified milk powder reference materials making the many measurements related to the dairy sector trustworthy and thereby ensuring safety of food products on the market.
- World Standards Week at JRC-IRMMOctober 11, 2013
From 14th to 18th October 2013, the JRC will host the World Standards Week at the IRMM commemorating the World Standards Day on the 14th October.
- Facilitating wine trade with international standardsOctober 09, 2013
The International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) is working together with the JRC on issues of common interest, and exploring potential synergies in the field of harmonisation of analytical standards for wine and spirit drinks.
- Achieving excellence in scienceSeptember 27, 2013
Three JRC-IRMM scientists have recently received prestigious awards for their outstanding work and contribution to science and policy.
- New certified reference material for micro-analysis techniquesSeptember 24, 2013
JRC-IRMM has released IRMM-471, a new reference material certified for the carbon mass fraction of its cementite grains.
- Towards more sensitive radioactivity measurementsSeptember 24, 2013
JRC scientists have recently contributed to a study developing a radiopure capacitor that is suited to be used with gamma-ray detectors underground; having less radioactivity compared to a normal capacitor. The activities of uranium and thorium are more than 100 times reduced and that of 210Pb and 40K about a factor of 10.